Choose Your Major
The Department of Geosciences at the University of West Georgia offers programs of study focusing on planet earth, our natural and built environments, and how societies interact with and alter the biophysical world. We are a welcoming, student-centered department with challenging programs of study that span a wide range of subject matter and techniques. Our programs emphasize hands-on learning and take students out of the classroom into the field whenever possible. Learn more about our offerings in Geology, Geography, GIS and the Environment.Learn More
The Department of Biology at the University of West Georgia aims to promote growth and development of skilled professionals, effective teachers, competent scientists, and informed citizens. To make this happen, we maintain a rigorous curriculum which facilitates an understanding of the major principles and concepts in the biological sciences, promotes critical-thinking and communication skills, and fosters a continuous interest in learning. In producing an extremely high caliber of graduate, we hope to positively influence and enhance the quality of life around us, both on- and off-campus.Learn More
The Department of Chemistry prides itself on faculty directed undergraduate research projects, allowing students the necessary hands-on experiences that help them successfully compete for industrial positions as well as graduate and professional programs. Faculty members focus on student success through innovative approaches and interventions in the classroom in introductory as well as advanced courses. Learn more about our offerings in Biochemistry, Organic, Inorganic, Analytical and Physical Chemistry plus exciting electives in materials and green chemistry.Learn More
The Department of Computer Science offers a Bachelor of Science in Computer Science that is accredited by the Computing Accreditation Commission of ABET, and a fully online Master of Science in Applied Computer Science. Our curriculum provides knowledge foundations and cutting-edge technical skills needed to succeed in today's information technology job market, and covers a variety of areas including programming, software engineering, web technologies, databases, systems and networks, artificial intelligence, and interactive media and gaming.Learn More
The Department of Mathematics at the University of West Georgia proudly offers a collection of courses and programs which ensures that our students will emerge well-rounded, problem-solving, strategic-thinking contributors to today’s society. Our students are encouraged to remain intellectually curious throughout their time with us and on into their adult lives upon graduation. We also, through our faculty, continue to contribute to the body of knowledge of this discipline, be it through traditional research, applied research, or research in the teaching of mathematics.Learn More
The Department of Physics at the University of West Georgia takes pride in our discipline because physics is the most fundamental of all the sciences. The ideas of our study underlie all other basic sciences as well as engineering and modern technology - ranging from the smallest particles of subatomic matter to galaxies. Physicists conduct research on the fundamental laws of nature and use existing knowledge about our physical world to develop, design and create. Interested yet? Learn more about our courses and programs, student offerings and more.Learn More
May 16, 2019
March 22, 2019
- Carousel Controls: Slide 1
- Carousel Controls: Slide 2
- Carousel Controls: Slide 3
- Carousel Controls: Slide 4
- Carousel Controls: Slide 5
COSM Points of Pride
- Has the largest and a nationally-recognized STEM secondary teacher education (UTeach) program in Georgia (jointly with the College of Education).
- Bachelor of Science in Chemistry program is approved by the American Chemical Society.
- Bachelor of Science in Computer Science program is nationally accredited by ABET.
- Master of Science in Applied Computer Science program is nationally ranked by US News and World Report.
- State-wide and national awards received by faculty: Regents’ Department Teaching Excellence award; Board of Regents Faculty Teaching Excellence award; American Mathematics Teacher Educator Early CAREER award, National Science Foundation CAREER award; AAPT Fellow; AAPT Homer L. Dodge award.
- Marion Crider Endowed Faculty Chair position in Applied Mathematics.
- Hosting the offices of the National Association of State Boards of Geology and of the journal of Southeastern Geology.